Friday, May 8, 2009

Swimmin' Like a Fishy

Katie started swim lessons this week and I wasn't sure how they were going to go. Last year I tried to work with Katie a little bit but she wasn't having any of it and I could see the beginning of a fear of the water emerge. I knew this year that it was very important to get her some sort of lessons without me being involved. She reverts to being babyish when I'm in the equation so I definitely knew that was a must.

Her instructor recognizes that she does indeed have a fear and she's not all gung-ho like the two other girls in her group. They jump in the water and will put their heads under with no problems. Katie on the other hand starts to cry when ask to do either of these. It's just not like her. Her instructor assures me that Katie will come around. Fingers crossed!!!

Here are some not so great pics from her first lesson, shot through the viewing room glass.


She does love the lessons and is very excited to go. I'm hoping that spending lots of time in the water plus having these more experienced girls in her group will help her become the little fishy she wants to be!

1 comment:

happymcfamily said...

Way to go Katie! You can do it!

Juliana isn't afraid of the water itself, but she does get scared when her eyes get wet... so we have her signed up for lessons in June. She has been better in the tub the past several months about "blinking the water out" without fits if it gets in her eyes, so here's hoping that's a good sign!

*fingers crossed* for Katie!